Job Title: Finance Business Partner
Reports To: As per Beazley’s organisational chart
Key Relationships: Underwriting Teams including Business Managers, MI Team, Finance Team, Actuarial, Underwriters, Reinsurance, Claims Team and other Business Users.
Job Summary: To be a Business Partner to the Underwriting Departments .To analyse, review and develop Group and Syndicate MI. To conduct oneself in line with the core and partnership competencies as noted below.
Specific Business Partner activities these will include, but are not restricted to, the following:
- Be the Finance relationship manager for the Underwriting team
- Full ownership of P & L – including all technical and non technical P & L items
- Involvement in the business planning process with the underwriting teams
- Reviewing, analysing and delivering the following MI to the Underwriting Team and working with them to provide suitable commentary and where appropriate approval in a timely and professional manner as suitable for the report type and audience:
- Flash and MI Dashboard
- Quarterly Forecast (Technical and non technical)
- Annual Budget (Technical and non technical)
- Peer review:
- Attendance at the Peer Review meeting and where appropriate provide MI analysis to support the meeting. Ownership of any Finance related actions arising from the meetings and development of commentary for wider use by the MI and other Finance teams as appropriate.
- Full understanding of the loss ratio movement, components of the loss ratio and movements in the quarter
- Direct Cost Reports
- All Cost Allocation Report and other expense MI
- Be proactive in helping the underwriting teams understand their numbers
- Production of KPI’s, add value analysis and identification of potential efficiencies (cost challenge)
- Scenario analysis of underwriting teams results
- Ad hoc requests from underwriting teams
As part of the Finance Business Partnering team, other Key Activities and areas of responsibility will include, but are not limited to:
- Quarterly Forecasts
- Support the delivery of GAAP quarterly forecasts which includes all technical and non technical components
- Analytical review of the GAAP Forecasts should be prepared
- Presentation of the Forecast to the underwriting team
- Appropriate commentary to be provided within the Forecast templates and delivered to the business (inclusive of expense analysis)
- Annual Budget
- Support the delivery of the GAAP Annual Budget which includes all technical and non technical components
- Liaise with Capital Planning, Corporate Development, Actuarial, and Underwriting teams
- Analytical review of the GAAP Annual Budget should be prepared
- Presentation of the Budget to the underwriting team
- Appropriate commentary to be provided within the Annual Budget templates and delivered to the business (inclusive of expense analysis)
- Ownership and support of Finance projects.
- Ad hoc duties
- Support the delivery of ad hoc requests to the MI team including, but not limited to, analytical MI, report development and system and process development
- Review of the quarterly forecast for the 3 open years ultimate result by syndicate and by UW team. This informs exec, BFL board conversations with Lloyds and capital providers.
- Would be expected to contribute towards and support other activities including
- SBF return to Lloyds
- PMD return to Lloyds
- 5 year strategic plan
- Support to the group and regulatory actuals team
At Beazley we are committed to doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do. It is important that within all your interactions both internally and externally you adhere to this principle through adoption of Beazley’s core values and behaviours – PIED and Being Beazley.
- Adopt the Beazley culture of Professionalism, Integrity, Effectiveness and Dynamic that contribute to an internal environment of teamwork and promote a positive brand image and experience to our external customers.
- Comply with Beazley procedures, policies and regulations including the code of conduct. Undertake training on Beazley policies and procedures as delivered by your line manager, the Talent Management or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) either directly, via e-learning or the learning management system.
- Display business ethics that uphold the interests of all our customers.
- Ensure all interactions with customers are focused on delivering a fair outcome, including having the right products for their needs.
- Comply with any specific responsibilities necessary for your role as outlined by your line manager, the Talent Management development or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) and ensure you keep up to date with developments in these areas. This may include, amongst others, Beazley’s underwriting control standards, Beazley’s claims control standards, other Beazley standards and customer relationship management.
- Carry out additional responsibilities as individually notified, either through your objectives or through the learning management system. These may include membership of any Beazley committees or working groups.
Education and Qualifications
Experienced qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/CIMA)
Graduate with a degree from any discipline
Skills and Abilities
Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
Accurate and numerate
Computer skills: excellent working knowledge of Excel and Access
Excellent communication, influencing and relationship skills.
Motivational skills, team worker as well as able to work on own initiative
Strong customer and quality orientation; solution-focused and confident in operating in a changing environment
The ability to manage time, meet deadlines and prioritise
Understanding of GAAP reporting and consolidation accounting
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of a deadline driven environment
- Knowledge of reconciliations and the ability to drill down to the cause of a problem
- Working knowledge of insurance and reinsurance
- Lloyd’s experience
Aptitude and Disposition
Outcome focussed, self-motivated and flexible
Professional approach to successfully interact with senior management, colleagues and external suppliers
Creative, with ability to develop and implement new ways of working
Understanding of the need for accurate and timely management information
- Stakeholder management and relationship building
- Negotiation and influencing
- Creativity / Innovation
- Analytical thinking
- Conceptual thinking
- Customer focus
- Problem solving
- Decision making
- Team working