Beazley has a temporary vacancy for an Assistant Claims Manager (Portfolio, Professions) in our Claims team, for an initial period of 4 months, which would suit self-motivated and enthusiastic candidates looking for an exciting and broad role. We’re looking for accurate and organised candidates with a strong eye for detail who take pride in delivering a high level of service. Experience handling claims (preferably third party liability claims) and the ability to work really well within a strong team, and communicate with different people across our business will be important. This role offers you the chance to develop your claims handling skills in particular in the lawyers, A&E and misc. SME PI space. You’ll be exposed to a wide range of claims globally and will work closely with stakeholders both internally (underwriters, claims colleagues, wider business teams, etc.) and externally (brokers, insureds, service providers, etc.) You will have the chance to handle your own portfolio of claims and perfect your time management, analytical and organisational skills. Language skills would be helpful but are not essential.
Please review the full role description here:
Job Title: Assistant Claims Manager (Portfolio - Professions)
Division: Group Claims
Reports To: As per Beazley’s organisation chart
Key Relationships: Claims staff, underwriters, insureds, brokers and service providers
Job Summary: To help achieve the Beazley vision of being the highest performing specialist insurer. This will be done through the proactive management of claims, at the individual and portfolio level, to optimise spend and achieve high levels of satisfaction for the insured and broker through high quality claim management, resolution and excellent client service.
Individual Claims Leadership
- Proactively manage individual claims from notification to closure, investing the necessary level of involvement required for each claim depending on, inter alia, the nature, category, maturity, type and quantum of the claim.
- Follow at all times Beazley’s Claims Reserving Philosophy and Claims Standards.
- In liaison with your line manager develop, iterate, document and execute claims strategies taking into account uncertainties, key decisions, potential outcomes and estimated associated costs.
- Understand and implement Beazley’s “Treating Customers Fairly” policy.
Claims portfolio management
- Work with and support Claims Managers in the management of the claims portfolio to optimise performance including:
- Regularly review individual claims within the portfolio and keep reserves and records up to date as required by Beazley’s claims controls and standards.
- Keep Reinsurance and Finance advised of any material claims as set out in your claims authority and claims protocols and procedures and work with Reinsurance to effect recoveries.
Working with Underwriters
- Develop an understanding of marketing and underwriting strategies for your business area.
- Provide input to underwriters on review of potential or existing insured’s claims experience.
- Feedback claims trends and developments and their potential impact on the book.
- Suggest wordings improvements.
Authority & Minimum Standards observance
- Operate within your approved claims authority at all times.
- Have thorough knowledge of industry regulations and minimum standards to ensure compliance with the regulations and Beazley’s claims and underwriting control standards and protocols.
Third party management
- Follow Beazley’s procedures for the selection and retention of 3rd-party professionals and manage these relationships to the benefit of Beazley.
- Where required conduct file reviews or audits and assist in the resolution of any issues identified.
Broker and Insured Relations
- Work proactively to develop strong relations with key brokers and insureds.
- Promote the Beazley brand of excellence in client service professionalism.
Conflicts of Interest
- Adhere to Beazley’s Conflicts of Interest policy, alert the appropriate person to any potential conflicts of interest and take steps to resolve them promptly.
- Immediately advise your Claims Team leader or Group Head of Claims if any Beazley employee seeks to exert undue influence on you or any other team member to act improperly in the management, reserving or settlement of any claim.
At Beazley we are committed to doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do. It is important that within all your interactions both internally and externally you adhere to this principle through adoption of Beazley’s core values and behaviours – PIED and Being Beazley.
- Adopt the Beazley culture of Professionalism, Integrity, Effectiveness and Dynamic that contributes to an internal environment of teamwork and promote a positive brand image and experience to our external customers.
- Comply with Beazley procedures, policies and regulations including the code of conduct. Undertake training on Beazley policies and procedures as delivered by your line manager, the talent management or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) either directly, via e-learning or the learning management system.
- Display business ethics that uphold the interests of all our customers.
- Ensure all interactions with customers are focused on delivering a fair outcome, including having the right products for their needs.
- Comply with any specific responsibilities necessary for your role as outlined by your line manager, talent management or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) and ensure you keep up to date with developments in these areas. This may include, amongst others, Beazley’s underwriting control standards, Beazley’s claims control standards, other Beazley standards and customer relationship management.
- Carry out additional responsibilities as individually notified, either through your objectives or through the learning management system. These may include membership of any Beazley committees or working groups.
Education and Qualifications
Skills and Abilities
- Analytical skills: Problem solving (broad-based, analytical, conceptual, creativity), Analysis of financial statements, Financial assessments of claims, Data analysis, Decision-making
- Work management skills: Time and workload management, Self-starter, Planning, Achievement orientation, Productivity focus
- Interpersonal skills: Ability to influence others, Client and broker management skills, Purposeful communication, Flexibility, Active listening
Knowledge and Experience
- Functional knowledge & understanding: Claims management process, US/RoW Insurance market (general & focus group), US legal and regulatory environment, Alternative resolution approaches
Aptitude and Disposition
- Outcome focused, self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic
- Professional approach to successfully interact with senior management/ colleagues/ external suppliers
- Influencing others
- Team work
- Analytical thinking
- Managing resources effectively
- Technical competency and expertise