Great opportunity to join Beazley's vibrant and fast-growing Barcelona office in a key position for our Spanish expansion. We are looking for an underwriter with a strong broker network across Spain to contribute to the development of our newly-launched etrading platform - myBeazley - in the region. The ideal candidate will have experience within financial lines for the SME space - particularly for non-traditional Professional Indemnity and Management Liability (including Cyber). Fluency in Spanish and English is a must - Catalan would be a bonus. Applicants must have good technical expertise, think strategically, enjoy business development and be able to work independently.
Job description and person specification
Job Title: Underwriter – Private Enterprise
Division: Specialty Lines
Key Relationships: Brokers, underwriters, PE RoW team, Financial Lines team, Barcelona office, Broker Relations team, claims, coverholders, external clients and suppliers
Job Summary: To plan and execute the growth of a profitable high volume, low severity non-traditional SME PI book along with ML package products (mainly D&O, commercial crime and cyber); to contribute to the launch of an etrading system Beazley platform (myBeazley); to target and develop active fruitful relationships with select brokers; to raise market awareness of Beazley and ensure it presents itself as a professional, quality organisation.
- Responsible for the profitable growth of a high volume, low severity non-traditional SME PI book in Spain, led by technology and management consultants’ PI, but including other segments such as media and recruitment agents.
- Responsible for the profitable growth of a high volume, low severity Management Liability book in Spain (mainly D&O, commercial crime and cyber/data security cover)
- Contribute to the design of a local wide package of covers including the ones mentioned above and others, such as general liability, employers’ liability, property, business interruption, social media and any other needed to be sold in a package to succeed in the local market.
- Contribute to the launch of an etrading system to support brokers, sales and underwriting. To participate and support the design and improvement of the etrading Beazley platform (myBeazley), and use it as a main distribution channel to our SME/MM products in Spain.
- Detect and implement all possible ways of mass volume distribution within the country in alignment with our strategy.
- Establish and maintain excellent broker relationships, create a competitive differentiation, build the “brand” and facilitate the placement of new business with Beazley.
- Set and deliver submission and strike rate ratios for individual brokers.
- Schedule regular meetings with targeted brokers to discuss upcoming opportunities, gather feedback about products and ratings, and discuss overall performance.
- Maintain best in class technical knowledge of Beazley’s chosen segments.
- Participate in conferences and events and contribute articles to increase Beazley’s profile.
- Through broker contacts and technical knowledge, systematically provide feedback on the development of new segments, existing wordings, new wordings and innovative services. Same feedback to be provided for the etrading platform (myBeazley) and all its functionalities.
- Find and select innovative service vendors, including training support to SME brokers
At Beazley we are committed to doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do. It is important that within all your interactions both internally and externally you adhere to this principle through adoption of Beazley’s core values and behaviours – PIED and Being Beazley.
- Adopt the Beazley culture of Professionalism, Integrity, Effectiveness and Dynamic that contributes to an internal environment of teamwork and promote a positive brand image and experience to our external customers.
- Comply with Beazley procedures, policies and regulations including the code of conduct which incorporates the PRA and FCA Conduct Rules. Undertake training on Beazley policies and procedures as delivered by your line manager, the Talent Management development or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) either directly, via e-learning or the learning management system.
- Display business ethics that uphold the interests of all our customers.
- Ensure all interactions with customers are focused on delivering a fair outcome, including having the right products for their needs.
- Comply with any specific responsibilities necessary for your role as outlined by your line manager, the Talent Management or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) and ensure you keep up to date with developments in these areas. This may include, amongst others, Beazley’s underwriting control standards, Beazley’s claims control standards, other Beazley standards and customer relationship management.
- Carry out additional responsibilities as individually notified, either through your objectives or through the learning management system. These may include membership of any Beazley committees or working groups.
Education and Qualifications
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree education
Skills and Abilities
- Very strong business development and sales skills
- Effective relationship management skills with customer focused approach
- Good understanding of the proposed suite of products with the ability to speak authoritatively both about the technical risks and Beazley’s appetite
- Planning capabilities to design the right product/distribution strategy in a mass volume segment
- Managerial capabilities to control the evolution and suggest changes to the strategy, not only from the technical and commercial point of view but also from the operational point of view (crucial for the profitability of the SME book)
- Ability to work independently for significant periods of time
- Accuracy and numeracy
- Computer skills – good working knowledge of MS Office
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to manage time, meet deadlines and prioritise
- Fluency in both Spanish and English – Catalan will be a plus
Knowledge and Experience
- Track record in developing strong relationships with SME brokers in Spain (mainly Madrid and Catalonia regions)
- Profile amongst the target broking community
- Underwriting experience of non-traditional PI products and D&O for SME
- Client service experience
- Planning experience for Spain on setting the right strategy both for products and distribution to access the mass volume segment in a profitable way (both on loss and operational costs)
Aptitude and Disposition
- Result focused, self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic
- Professional approach to interact successfully with managers/ colleagues/ external suppliers
- Team worker as well as able to work on own initiative
- Customer focused, with a strong ethic of service and fairness to the customer
- Achievement drive
- Analytical thinking
- Strategic thinking
- Service focus
- Team working
- Forward thinking
- Conceptual thinking