This is an exciting opportunity to join Beazley's growing Cyber & Executive Risk underwriting team, in San Francisco. The underwriter will focus on executive risk coverage for both public and private companies. The successful candidate will be heavily involved in new business production as well as maintaining a renewal book of business. We are looking for a highly motivated individual who is technical, detail-oriented, enjoys training and educating brokers and clients on our products and coverage and has a team mindset. The ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment is a must. The ideal candidate will have experience in executive risk products, and could currently be working as either an underwriter or broker. Beazley is a flexible employer, offering a friendly and innovative work environment.
Role: Underwriter, Executive Risks
Division: Cyber and Executive Risks (CyEx)
Location: San Francisco
Key Relationships: Brokers, underwriters, claims staff, coverholders, external clients and suppliers
Job Summary: To underwrite a Management Liability account within the CyEx team, providing counsel and advice on underwriting related issues. Provide technical expertise in this business area and maintain and improve market reputation of the Beazley brand.
- Develop and underwrite a profitable portfolio of Management Liability business as part of the CyEx team.
- Structure tailor-made solutions by considering the team underwriting parameters and underwriting policy and using underwriting knowledge and experience to win new business and retain existing.
- Monitor premiums, costs and claims ratios per contract and take corrective measures if necessary to ensure long term profitability at account level.
- Evaluate appropriate risk premium by considering the risk costs, reinsurance cessions, capital exposure as well as the underwriting and general administration costs to ensure profitability, using rating models as applicable.
- Monitor peer underwriters in their daily work to ensure profitability as well as efficient and cost effective administration of the Management Liability account.
- Monitor and supervise assistants in their daily work to ensure compliance with underwriting philosophy and policy and consistency within the team.
- Comply with Beazley’s underwriting control standards for business written through Lloyd’s or Beazley’s internal MGAs.
- Develop a good working relationship with the claims managers on this class of business.
- Advise, assist and service clients on insurance and risk matters to ensure clients’ satisfaction.
- Foster positive relationships with clients to get a mutual understanding of both their and Beazley’s needs.
- Maintenance of good business relationships with brokers.
- Maintain awareness of overall Beazley product range and take advantages of opportunities to introduce other Beazley products to clients.
- Leverage networking opportunities within the business to develop standardised underwriting policy and best practice within Beazley.
- Develop best practice and disseminate business and class knowledge within the CyEx team.
- Work with peers within CyEx to maximise business opportunities and profitability within the department. This will include but not be limited to sharing market information, marketing sources and cross selling opportunities.
- Share and gather knowledge within the Beazley Group to ensure dissemination of best practice and maximise business opportunities and profitability across the Group.
- Production of presentations and marketing literature as required.
- Production of business plans/research documents for the Management Liability account as required.
Education and Qualifications
- Minimum graduate level education
Skills and Abilities
- Proficient underwriting skills
- Accurate and numerate
- Computer skills – good working knowledge of MS Office, advanced Excel skills
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
- Able to communicate effectively with others, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to manage time, meet deadlines and prioritise
- Motivational skills
Knowledge and Experience
- General commercial and financial knowledge
- Experience of Management Liability underwriting.
- Knowledge of underwriting policy, philosophy and practice
- Knowledge of underwriting processes and systems
- Client service experience
Aptitude and Disposition
- Result focussed, self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic
- Professional approach to interact successfully with managers/ colleagues/ external suppliers
- Team worker as well as able to work on own initiative
- Customer focused, with a strong ethic of service and fairness to the customer