This is an exciting opportunity to join Beazley's Miscellaneous Medical team. Our underwriting appetite is one of the broadest in the market, allowing our underwriters to be flexible and creative. In addition to the wide array of miscellaneous medical risks in our portfolio, we offer focused products on telemedicine and hospital risks. This position would be targeting middle market and large risk accounts as we insure some of the top companies in their respective fields. Our tailored underwriting frequently requires drafting bespoke policies. The ideal candidate will be heavily involved in new business production. We are looking for a highly motivated marketer who is technical, able to tailor to an insured’s specific coverage needs, detail-oriented and with a team mindset. Beazley is a flexible employer, offering a friendly and innovative work environment. There will be some travel required.
Job Title: Underwriter - US Healthcare
Division: Specialty Lines
Key Relationships: Brokers, underwriters, claims staff, coverholders, external clients and suppliers
To underwrite a Miscellaneous Medical account within the Healthcare Team and provide counsel and advice on Underwriting related issues. Provide technical expertise in this business area and maintain and improve market reputation of the Beazley brand.
- Develop and underwrite a profitable portfolio of Miscellaneous Medical business as part of the Healthcare team.
- Structure tailor-made solutions by considering the team underwriting parameters and underwriting policy and using underwriting knowledge and experience to win new business and retain existing.
- Monitor premiums, costs and claims ratios per contract and take corrective measures if necessary to ensure long term profitability at account level.
- Evaluate appropriate risk premium by considering the risk costs, reinsurance cessions, capital exposure as well as the underwriting and general administration costs to ensure profitability, using rating models as applicable.
- Monitor peer underwriters in their daily work to ensure profitability as well as efficient and cost effective administration of the Miscellaneous Medical account.
- Monitor and supervise assistants in their daily work to ensure compliance with underwriting philosophy and policy and consistency within the team and Specialty Lines.
- Comply with Beazley’s underwriting control standards for business written through Lloyd’s, Beazley Insurance Company Inc or Beazley’s internal MGAs.
- Develop a working relationship with the claims managers on this class of business.
- Leverage networking opportunities within the business to develop standardised underwriting policy and best practice within Beazley.
- Develop best practice and disseminate business and class knowledge within the Healthcare and Specialty Lines team.
- Work with peers within Healthcare and Specialty Lines to maximise business opportunities and profitability within the department. This will include but not be limited to sharing market information, marketing sources and cross selling opportunities.
- Share and gather knowledge within the Beazley Group to ensure dissemination of best practice and maximise business opportunities and profitability across the Group.
- Production of presentations and marketing literature as required.
- Production of business plans/research documents for the Miscellaneous Medical account as required.
Education and Qualifications
- Minimum graduate level education
Skills and Abilities
Proficient underwriting skills
Accurate and numerate
Computer skills – good working knowledge of MS Office, advanced Excel skills
Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
Able to communicate effectively with others, both verbally and in writing
Ability to manage time, meet deadlines and prioritise
- Motivational skills
Knowledge and Experience
General commercial and financial knowledge
Extensive experience in insurance industry
Extensive experience of Healthcare professional liability insurance
Thorough knowledge of underwriting policy, philosophy and practice
Advanced knowledge of underwriting processes and systems
- Client service experience
Aptitude and Disposition
Result focussed, self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic
Professional approach to interact successfully with managers/ colleagues/ external suppliers
Team worker as well as able to work on own initiative
- Customer focused, with a strong ethic of service and fairness to the customer