DIRECTOR, PARTNERSHIPS AND BUSINESS ENGAGEMENT, NATURE ACTION AGENDA SECONDEE TO THE UN CONVENTION ON BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY
(Initial fixed-term contract until June 2021, based in Montreal)
The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation.
The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
Why we are recruiting
The World Economic Forum’s Centre for Global Public Goods seeks to bring innovation and frontier approaches to help the international system be more agile and equipped to respond to today’s challenges. It does this by helping the international community leverage public-private cooperation, the Fourth Industrial Revolution and systems thinking for improved management of the global commons and building sustainable markets for the 2030 development goals. The Forum is curating a public-private initiative that aims to catalyse a movement among senior decision-makers (CEOs, heads of state/government and ministers and key NGOs) to raise ambition for a successful outcome at the UN Convention on Biological Diversity COP15 in Beijing, People’s Republic of China in 2020. The initiative is envisioned to run from July 2019 through to June 2021. The initiative is looking to hire a Director for Partnerships and Business Engagement (Senior Programme Management Officer in the UN system) who can apply his/her skills in coalition building, senior business engagement and communications to support the goals of a successful COP15 and post-2020 biodiversity framework.
Reporting lines and interactions
The position will be recruited by the Forum but the Director will be seconded to and report to the Executive Director of the UN Convention on Biological Diversity with a dotted line connection to the Head of Forum’s Biodiversity work.
The successful candidate will be assessed on
• Ensuring that the Sharm el-Sheikh to Beijing Action Agenda for Nature and People is globally recognized and a related digital platform for action is established to be the go-to-place for signalling a shift in new business practices
• Raising the UN CBD’s global public profile and growing its business membership at the highest level
• Being an effective spokesperson and establishing collaboration and partnership across internal and external networks of stakeholders, particularly representing the interest of the Executive Secretariat and convention parties with business leaders to raise ambition for the post-2020 framework
• Leading the conceptualization of the Business and Biodiversity Forum in the lead up to Kunming COP15 in 2020
• Mainstreaming the biodiversity agenda at other fora, including the UN Secretary-General’s Climate Summit 2019, World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2020, IUCN World Conservation Congress 2020 and UNGA 2020 Nature Summit
Preferred requirements and experience
• At least 15 years of professional experience in project management and people leadership capabilities related to sustainable business strategy, international stakeholder engagement and partnership building
• Several years of work experience at a leading management consulting or company desired
• A master’s degree in business strategy, engineering, resource management issues, sustainability, environmental economics, finance, public policy or related areas
• Experience with working in an international and multicultural environment and strong knowledge in raising funds for, as well as building and delivering innovative and effective global public-private partnerships
• A deep commitment to the objectives of the UN CBD and the Forum’s mission
• Perfect command of written and spoken English; fluency in at least one other UN language is an advantage
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and networking skills; be a positive team player, hardworking and an inspirational leader
• Experience and pleasure in high-profile media interviews and be able to moderate and facilitate high-level discussions
Why work at the Forum
The World Economic Forum believes that progress happens by bringing together people from all walks of life who have the drive and the influence to improve the state of the world by building awareness and cooperation, shaping mindsets and agendas and driving collective action. Join us and become a driver for positive change.