PROJECT LEAD, INTERNET OF THINGS, ROBOTICS AND SMART CITIES
The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the international organization for public-private cooperation.
The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
Why we are Recruiting
The Internet of Things (IoT) and connected devices are already impacting governments, enterprises, institutions, and individuals in multiple ways, and will have increasingly complex and far-reaching consequences in the coming years. The Project Lead will join a high-profile team of experts working to shape the trajectory of these emerging technologies, maximizing their benefit to society while also reducing risks.
Reporting Lines & Interactions
The Project Lead will work in partnership with the Head of IoT, Robotics and Smart Cities, and teams across World Economic Forum to build and test new policy and governance frameworks for IoT. Resulting outcomes of this work may include innovative partnerships, new norms and standards, or new models of supporting innovation. These new policy and governance frameworks will be piloted with governments, the private sector, civil society, and academia to test theories about impact, iterate based on lessons learned, and then scale the adoption of frameworks and resulting governance protocols globally.
This position will be responsible for leading and contributing to innovative new efforts including the development of a global policy framework to enable and accelerate the growth of sustainable smart cities. The Project Lead will also collaborate with teams working on data policy, autonomous vehicles, civilian use of drones, artificial intelligence and machine learning, digital trade, and blockchain.
Breakdown of Responsibilities
The Project Lead will play a key role facilitating engagement across the Forum's existing global communities of business executives, leading academicians from the world's top research universities, government officials, start-up community, media, civil society organizations, social entrepreneurs, and Centre Partners which include Reliance, Wipro, ABB, Microsoft, SAP and more. The position is based in India and will work closely with teams in San Francisco, Beijing, Geneva, New York, and Tokyo.
• Track trends in the development of the IoT, robotics and smart cities ecosystem and ongoing efforts related to IoT governance to define gaps in current policy frameworks
• Define and help prioritize key issues and policy-related questions to be investigated, identify clear opportunities for impact, set the goals for projects, and establish clear evaluation criteria
• Lead the development of policy and governance frameworks and the deployment of pilots with partner governments and other stakeholders utilizing user-centered design
• Select, engage, and coordinate public and private partners from industry, government, academia, international organizations and civil society in the initiation, leadership and management of projects
• Drive effective project delivery, integration, and coordination, through a highly collaborative approach and effective resourcing, budgeting, project and process management, communication, and reporting Help ensure coordination and consistency across efforts related to IoT, robotics and smart cities at the World Economic Forum
• Assist in effective communication and engagement with current and prospective partners around the Centre’s IoT, robotics and smart cities efforts
• Manage in-person and virtual teams
Preferred Requirements and Experience
• Masters (or higher) degree in public policy management, business administration, technology, economics/finance or similar fields
• Minimum 5 years’ experience working in—or directly with—government or private sector on new policies related to smart cities, IoT or emerging technologies
• Proven track record of developing and implementing policies and solutions related to IoT, robotics or smart cities
• Deep knowledge of the municipal government in India and broader IoT ecosystem, including key governing bodies, decision makers, and leading private sector companies operating in this space
• Demonstrated thought leadership in the area of smart cities, including published articles, speeches/presentations in international forums, and conference participation
• Comfort driving entrepreneurial projects, starting new teams, and identifying opportunities for impact in crowded spaces
• Successful experience in engaging global leaders from the private and/or public sector
• Strong leadership skills with the ability to manage and motivate high performing, dispersed teams through volatility, uncertainty, complexity, risk and ambiguity
• Excellent verbal and written language skills in English and proficiency in Hindi dialect; verbal proficiency in other languages would be an asset
Why work at the Forum
We believe that progress happens by bringing together people from all walks of life who have the drive and the influence to improve the state of the world by building awareness and co-operation, shaping mind-sets and agendas and driving collective action. Join us and become a driver for positive change!