COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST, GLOBAL PLASTICS ACTION PARTNERSHIP
(two-year fixed-term contract, renewable)
The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation.
The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
Why we are recruiting
The Global Plastic Action Partnership (GPAP) is a global public-private delivery mechanism that aims to tackle one of the most pressing challenges facing the planet – the pollution of rivers, deltas and oceans from plastics. By engaging with governments, regional bodies, international organizations, and business, as well as innovators and civil society organizations, the GPAP seeks to avert the growth in global plastic pollution by 2025.
In collaboration with GPAP members, the World Economic Forum is seeking to recruit a Communications Specialist to drive the communications strategy to support and promote the activities of the Global Plastic Action Partnership.
To be successful in this role, you will need to demonstrate a passion for communications – both internally and externally – showing a proven track record of developing and delivering communication plans. You will have excellent writing skills, experience in social media communications, and be creative and innovative. Tactfulness and diplomacy are vital as you will be dealing with important stakeholders.
Reporting lines and interactions
The role will be based in Geneva within the Global Plastics Action Partnership team at the World Economic Forum, reporting to the Director of GPAP. Internally, this person will work with colleagues in the GPAP and the broader Centre for Global Public Goods, and externally with a broad range of stakeholders, including partner companies in the consumer goods, retail, chemical, finance and other industries, as well as with governments and multilateral and non-governmental organizations.
• Support the team in the communication of key messages to GPAP partners externally and internally
• Work collaboratively with relevant internal departments to provide consistency and alignment of communication plans
• Engage with the GPAP team to help manage event planning and logistics for Forum meetings and regional events, as well as external workshops and partner meetings
• Prepare external reports and other communications tools to promote the efforts of GPAP
• Plan and communicate regular project updates to GPAP partners and stakeholders
• Support the Operations Manager in crafting grant reports as required by donors to the programme
• Ensure that all project content (web and digital) is accurate and up-to-date, and support the development of project communication materials
• Coordinate with relevant internal teams to leverage digital opportunities
• Create a media strategy in partnership with the Forum’s Communications and Marketing team for the amplification of GPAP and partners’ work
• Develop a system of media monitoring to measure awareness; work with the Forum’s public engagement teams on media outreach
• Use social media and react to media enquiries as needed
The successful candidate will be assessed on
• Creation and regular update of the Global Plastic Action Partnership website, digital content and social media channels
• Implementation of digital strategies and campaigns to ensure effective online communication, positioning and engagement across websites and social media channels
• Delivery of an effective partner and stakeholder communications strategy and action plan
• Creation of supportive team communications materials for engagement internally and externally
• Supportive attitude and willingness to engage across the broader team to create opportunities for amplification and to create and improve stakeholder engagement.
Preferred requirements and experience
• Broad intellectual background with at least university-level education
• 3-5 years’ work experience in communications-related field, journalism, media engagement and/or public relations related to communications activities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluency in spoken and written English; other languages would be an asset
• Ability to communicate complex information succinctly both in writing and verbally
• Ability to work with C-suite business leaders and leading issue experts in academia, international organizations, governments and non-governmental organizations, as well as with representatives from grassroots organizations
• Proficient in MS Office; experience with digital platforms, social media and media monitoring tools would be an asset
• Strong organizational, interpersonal and time-management skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, have an understanding of stakeholder needs and be a committed, collaborative, optimistic and solution-oriented team player
• Analytical capabilities
• A demonstrated interest in environment/sustainability issues, technology and innovation
About the World Economic Forum
We believe that progress happens by bringing together people from all walks of life who have the drive and the influence to improve the state of the world by building awareness and cooperation, shaping mindsets and agendas and driving collective action. Join us and become a driver for positive change.