The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation.
The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
Why we are recruiting
The Centre for Global Public Goods acts as a systems leader and platform curator on environment and natural resource security, the future of food, development finance and sustainable development, including helping to organize the World Economic Forum’s Sustainable Development Impact Summit. The centre seeks to bring innovation and frontier approaches to help the international system be more agile and equipped to respond to today’s challenges.
Within the centre, the Global Water Initiative works to advance the global water agenda and demonstrate the power of public-private cooperation in improving water management for economic growth, environmental stewardship and social development. Given water’s central role in advancing climate resilience and adaptation, the initiative sits within the Water and Environmental Resilience team.
The Global Water Initiative Specialist will contribute to strengthening community engagement and managing the operations of the programme. A critical addition to a small team, the Specialist will interact extensively across internal and external networks to advance Forum-supported initiatives and coalitions.
Reporting lines and interactions
The position will report to the Project Lead, Water and Environmental Resilience (based in Geneva) and interact closely with the Head, Water and Environmental Resilience (based in New York). Expected external interactions include supervised contact with community partners from civil society, multilateral development banks, industry and government. Expected internal interactions include Regional teams, Business Engagement, Legal, the Centre for Global Public Goods and other project teams at the Forum.
Breakdown of main responsibilities
Support the community management, communications, events and operations of the Global Water Initiative.
• 50% team coordination and administrative support
• 25% communications and community management
• 25% event planning and logistics
The successful candidate will be assessed on the ability to:
• Provide project management and coordination support, including keeping timelines for various workstreams and tracking actions needed to achieve project milestones and objectives.
• Manage event planning and logistics tied to the Forum’s Annual Meeting and regional events, as well as external workshops and Partner meetings.
• Drive community management efforts to initiate, maintain and expand external relationships, including curating content and discussion on Forum’s digital platforms, and identifying engagement opportunities for the initiative’s core community and expert network.
• Support internal and external communications needs by updating website and intranet content, maintaining up-to-date project documents, and drafting blog posts and other externally facing content as needed.
• Develop and implement new tools and processes to improve internal communication and coordination between the Global Water Initiative and the other parts of the Centre for Global Public Goods and wider Forum.
• Serve as the primary point of contact for all internal operational teams, including the Publications, Legal and Events teams
• Provide administrative support to the project and related staff, including arranging conference calls and meetings, taking minutes, and processing contracts and invoices, etc.
Preferred requirements and experience
• Bachelor’s degree in business, international relations, environmental management or a related field, with 3-5 years of work experience in project management/coordination, event management, or administration, preferably in a global company or international organization
• Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence, with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a multicultural environment and build relationships
• Flexible, committed, mature team player and self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, and can manage multiple priorities and deadlines
• Professional demeanour and ability to liaise with business leaders and leading issue experts in academia, international organizations, governments and non-governmental organizations, as well as with representatives from grassroots organizations
• Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office and experience working across a range of digital platforms and tools; experience working with Salesforce would be an asset
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluency in spoken and written English; additional languages would be an asset
• Passionate and committed, with a demonstrated interest in environment/sustainability issues, technology and innovation
Why work at the Forum
We believe that progress happens by bringing together people from all walks of life who have the drive and the influence to improve the state of the world by building awareness and cooperation, shaping mindsets and agendas and driving collective action. Join us and become a driver for positive change.