Director of Finance & Operations
AAS is currently accepting applications for an experienced leader, with a strong financial, operational and management background. The Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) is senior leadership position, reports to the School Director and works closely with the Administrative Team, the Board of Directors and other stakeholders to ensure that all matters within the DFO’s responsibility are conducted in manner resulting in positive, beneficial impacts to the educational aims of the school. This is a multi-faceted position with 225 contract days of on-site work spanning two cities- Moscow & St. Petersburg. The DFO is on call 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, 52 weeks/year.
Leadership and Supervision
- Provides leadership for school activities related to finance, business and operations, facilities, transportation, security, housing, procurement and other school-wide operations to support and sustain achievement of the AAS mission, vision, core values, objectives and strategies.
- Supervision and evaluation of directly reporting staff in the areas of accounting, procurement, business, facilities and operations.
- Ensure practices, policies and processes are in place to provide support for all areas of responsibility such that efficient and effective interactions with the school community are guaranteed.
- Collaborates with Administrative Team allocating resource needs in support of curriculum and policy-related issues to ensure alignment between funding and delivery of programs.
- Leads the budget process.
- Supervises the safety and security operations for physical facilities.
- PTO liaison, regularly attends meetings, committees, student extra-curricular events and provides financial and business leadership for associated projects, maintaining a productive, on-going dialog with parents throughout the school year.
- Oversees implementation of Board policies, participates in Board and committee meetings
- Responsible for all aspects of the financial performance and stability, maintaining the educational goals and quality of program at AAS
- In collaboration with the Administrative Team, responsible for the development, monitoring and management of the operating and capital budgets in order to ensure continuity of AAS
- Maintains a strategic financial plan designed to meet the current and future needs of the school
- Oversees a multi-million dollar annual budget, including operating and capital budgets and cash flow projections
- Oversees regular external and internal audits, approves and prepares annual published financial statements, audited financial accounts for the school
- Establishes and supervises all internal accounting procedures including collecting, accounting, investing and banking of all school funds
- Establishes and supervises accounting procedures covering current and capital expenditures, petty cash, budget management and invoicing
- Invests the school's short term funds in both current and savings accounts according to school policies
- Oversees the investment of the school’s long term funds with approved investment managers according to school policies
- Reports to the Finance & Facilities Committee and to the Board of Directors on a regular basis, or as otherwise requested
Regulatory & Compliance Affairs
- Ensures all operating licenses and permits are valid, facilities and operations meet appropriate requirements
- Reviews and executes all contracts; negotiates vendor and sub-contracted services
- School insurance policies- responsible for maintenance, review and renewal of contracts
- Undertakes risk management mitigation. Pro-actively works to identity risks, implement action plans
- Maintains positive, professional relationships with the three sponsoring embassies and local authorities as relevant and appropriate
The DFO is responsible for the efficient, safe and cost-effective management of all property, facilities and facility services at both campuses owned or leased by AAS.
- Responsible for the maintenance of all school facilities; leads with sound, ecologically-aware practices in facility management and grounds maintenance
- Leads the development and implementation of long-term facilities plans
- Oversees any school building/renovation projects, liaises with project managers, architects, contractors, key stakeholders
- Lead risk management to ensure compliance with health, safety and security best practices
- Key member of the AAS emergency response team, leads and assists with the coordination of security, safety and crisis management
- Responsible for overseas-hired faculty housing: procurement, maintenance and safety
- Responsible for all security operations, ensures the campuses are safe & secure
- Implements and supervises all subcontracted services contracted by AAS (including engineering services, food services, grounds maintenance)
- Responsible for the supervision and safety of AAS transportation services
- Ensures proper records management according to established procedures
- Citizen of the USA or UK
- University degree
- Master's degree in a related field, or certification(s) in a related job functions
- Significant, demonstrated experience in a senior business management role in a diverse, multicultural environment
- At least five years' business management experience
- Professional working experience internationally and in multiple currencies
- Proven leadership, supervisory, organizational and collaboration skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; fluency in English
- Prior leadership in a school setting
- Experience in education, international education
- Experience in non-profit environments
- Experience directly managing complex operations
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this position.