KNOWLEDGE LEAD, GLOBAL ALLIANCE FOR TRADE FACILITATION
(3-YEAR FIXED TERM/RENEWABLE)
The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation.
The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
The Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation designs and delivers public-private partnership projects to facilitate trade in developing countries. The alliance is a donor-funded programme that is spearheading a new phase aimed at building knowledge and expertise to support project development, and structuring project results into best practice packages in order to facilitate replication of projects in other countries.
The Knowledge Lead will develop useful, pragmatic and workable best practices with the private sector to support effective trade facilitation reforms with measurable commercial benefits. The position will report to the Head of Global Coordination for the Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Seek out specialized domain expertise (e.g. new technologies, techniques to optimize trade flows and processes) embedded within the alliance’s private sector partners and devise ways to inject this expertise directly into supporting in-country projects
- Build a community of experts from various parts of the world to serve as a sounding board and knowledge centre
- In collaboration with colleagues focusing on monitoring and evaluation and metrics and measurement, distil lessons learned from projects and foster internal and external knowledge sharing mechanisms
Communication and outreach
- Develop innovative research and analysis on trade flows, studying the impact of trade facilitation on investment, government revenue, economic development and poverty reduction; subsequently, communicate in writing and verbally to both expert and generalist audiences
- Prepare inputs for quarterly and annual reports reflecting the alliance’s progress and results
- Help monitor and evaluate the knowledge sharing programme, including external benchmarking and evaluation programmes/opportunities
Project benchmarking and metrics work
- Develop methodology to define what constitutes best practice and package up results of completed projects for sharing with the wider trade community for ease of replication
- Deliver robust quantitative and qualitative analysis in support of the identification, development and delivery of alliance projects
- Channel global expertise for project idea stress testing to assess the design of new and innovative projects
- Research work being done worldwide in specific trade-related sectors and apply it to assist the project development teams in improving project design
- Work closely with government agencies and the private sector to obtain timely and accurate data on the time, cost and predictability of cross-border trade
- Contribute to the development of a knowledge portal on the alliance website
- Actively support in the coordination of the alliance’s working group on metrics
Management and coordination
- Structure and coordinate the implementation of the alliance’s knowledge and best practice unit
- Prepare annual KBP work plans and budgets, and contribute to other key documents as needed
- Through training, coaching and support, help alliance colleagues and members to embed best-practice approaches to information and knowledge management into all areas of their work
Qualifications and Skills
- Master’s degree in economics, business or relevant field, preferably with a focus on international trade
- At least 5 years of practical experience in the international trade or supply chain space, preferably within private sector, implementing or overseeing projects in developing countries
- Strong familiarity with sources of data and information related to international trade and trade facilitation in particular
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and proven capacity to interact with high-level audiences
- Fluency in spoken and written English; knowledge of additional languages is an advantage
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to manage several work streams against tight deadlines
- Practical experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection methods
- Ability to travel to alliance project countries for short-term missions
- Proactive, self-starting, with a positive and constructive attitude towards and proven ability to getting things done
- Management consultancy and/or business development experience an asset
- Understands clients' needs and concerns; responds promptly and effectively to client needs, and customizes services and products as appropriate
- Ability to productive relationships, explain complex concepts in simple language, and drive consensus and collaboration
- Flexibility to respond to changing requirements
If you meet these requirements, please apply online.