Canonical is looking for a passionate individual to help lead one of the squads of Systems Reliability Engineers (SREs) that forms the IS team. As a member of the leadership of the IS team you will manage a squad of six globally distributed SREs who are responsible for all operational IT systems throughout the company including Canonical's data centres and offices. You will need to collaborate with the other IS squads and development teams for planning and execution and will play a key role in ensuring that Canonical's infrastructure is world-class.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Prior engineering leadership experience displaying strong team leadership skills, including ability to work with management to organize and prioritize complex and sometimes conflicting requirements.
- Experience coordinating a distributed team to deliver world-class IT infrastructure and services.
- Excellent communications skills in the English language, both verbal and written, especially in online environments such as mailing lists and IRC.
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse group of people (both technical and non-technical).
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule, and to motivate and mentor others to do the same.
- Experience of the Linux and free software world, and knowledge of cloud computing.
- Capable of working from home and being highly productive.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Extensive systems administration experience, handling a large number of machines, IP networking (routing, firewalls), and related services (DNS, DHCP, etc).
- Security (from network through to operating system and application) skills.
- Familiarity with Ubuntu (or Debian) and OpenStack.
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer.