We are looking for a number of experts in big data, data analytics and software engineering to help us build the next generation of our data and analytics systems.
Your contribution to our mission
We compile and analyse an array of data and statistics on global financial systems and micro-economic activity. From this, we generate a variety of insights for central banks, financial regulatory institutions, specialised publications and high-profile academia around the world. Indeed, some of the source data sets we work with and the ways in which we combine them are unique to our organisation.
But we know that our full potential in this area is yet to be realised. Our aim is to collect a wider variety of data and harness new technology to generate more powerful insights. This is an exciting time for us and your chance to be involved from the beginning.
A collaborative role that transforms our use of data
You will join a collaborative team tackling a range of complex software and data challenges. You will be helping us explore and exploit cutting-edge technologies, including big data platforms and machine learning. You will be looking outwards and collaborating; not just with the team but with expert economists, technologists, data scientists and statisticians – and counterparts in other international organisations and central banks.
You will focus on delivering data lake solutions that will power the Bank’s data and analytics transformation. You will have strong, practical experience in building and managing big data platforms using the Hadoop family of technologies including HBase, Hive, Pig, Spark and Scala.
- Engineer and operate the platform from a technology point of view
- Work in collaboration with federated data engineering teams as well as the network and system engineering team
- Maintain and continually improve the platform infrastructure
- Control and monitor the platform performance and capacity and advise necessary infrastructure changes
- Ensure availability of the platform
- Actively engage in the design of the new big data platform
- Actively contribute in selection and integration of any Big Data tools and frameworks required to provide requested capabilities
- Improve upon the data ingestion pipelines, ETL jobs, and alarms to maintain data integrity and data availability
- Stay up-to-date with advances in data persistence and big data technologies, and run pilots to design the data architecture to scale with the increased data sets of advertiser experience
- Design and develop different architectural models for our scalable data processing as well as scalable data storage
- Responsible for documentation, performance testing and debugging business applications as required
- Represent the team in the project meetings
Your qualifications and experience
You will have a graduate degree in computer science, or another IT-related technical field, with experience in software development or data engineering. In addition you will need the following:
- Experience in a Hadoop administration and/or a support role
- Good knowledge of Big Data querying tools, such as Pig, Hive, and Impala
- Experience with various messaging systems, such as Kafka
- Proficient understanding of distributed computing principles
- Familiar with specific characteristics of the Hortonworks / Cloudera stack as well as latest technology trends in the big data analytics domain
- Experience with automated deployment tools like Ansible or Puppet
- Expert understanding of ETL principles and how to apply them within Hadoop is a plus
- Experience of creating and managing big data pipeline using kafka, flume & Spark
- Experience with agile development methodologies
- Good abstraction and conceptual data management skills combined with a self-reliant, team-minded, communicative, proactive approach
- Significant knowledge of Big Data technologies and tools with the ability to share ideas as part of an open and collaborative team
- Strong passion for data analytics and engineering
What you can expect in return
Simply put, we want your time at the BIS to be a career-enriching experience. We offer a genuinely unique international working environment with colleagues from more than 60 countries, which will give you a broad exposure to a number of business areas and expert networks. You will also receive a competitive compensation package net of tax, including health insurance, and comprehensive support to help you relocate smoothly.
The BIS is fully committed to equal opportunity employment and strives for diversity among its staff