The International Association of Deposit Insurers (IADI or the Association), the global standard-setting body for deposit insurance systems, is recruiting candidates for the position of Research Analyst and Administrator (RAA), a position located in the IADI Secretariat, Basel, Switzerland. IADI invites candidates to submit their résumé and letter of interest no later than 10 December 2017.
IADI contributes to the global stability of financial systems by enhancing the effectiveness of deposit insurance and promoting international cooperation on deposit insurance and bank resolution arrangements in partnership with other international organisations. The IADI Secretariat is hosted by the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) in Basel, Switzerland. The Association recruits globally, regardless of nationality, and offers competitive employment packages.
Purpose of the job:
- Manage day-to-day data collection, reporting and maintenance of deposit insurance system data;
- Analyse and interpret data to help develop policy positions as observed in the IADI database;
- Under the supervision of the Senior Policy and Research Advisor, develop research and guidance papers, support the IADI Data and Survey Committee (DSC) and the International Survey Coordinator (ISC); provide meeting and research support;
- Participate in advancing new technologies in the development and implementation of appropriate IT tools;
- Stay abreast with relevant international deposit insurance and financial stability developments;
- Provide project management of IADI’s database activities.
Database and survey administration
- Database administration
- Facilitate IADI data collection, analysis and reporting in support of the work of the IADI DSC and ISC, and third party vendor;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of IADI database for internal and external users; perform quality control on data stored in the databases;
- Contribute to the formulation of business requirements for the development of IT applications for database administration; participates in testing new applications and implementing them in an efficient and effective manner;
- Respond to inquiries and requests from internal and external users of IADI’s database and provide information with respect to methodologies and documentation to database users;
- Develop guidelines on access to data and systems, including security protocol;
- Coordinate with IT systems provider on technical issues and monitor compliance with terms of engagement.
- Survey administration
- Assist DSC and ISC in designing IADI surveys by reviewing concepts, ensuring definition consistency with existing database and formatting of on-line survey questionnaire;
- Coordinate with IADI members in the submission and completion of survey questionnaire;
- Oversee the consolidation of data collected, and prepare report on survey results.
- Data analysis
- Generate periodic reports and updates on developments in global or regional deposit insurance systems using IADI database and other external data;
- Conduct statistical and/or econometric analysis using appropriate techniques;
- Address methodological issues to identify deposit insurance trends.
Research and policy
- Prepare publication-quality tables and graphs for IADI meetings and publications, as well as for the IADI website;
- Co-author meeting documents, research and guidance, or publications with research analysts or provide short analytical pieces for publications as needed;
- Participate in the RGC as a RGC Subcommittee member and draft research and guidance papers;
- Monitor international developments in deposit insurance policy and keep abreast with the technical developments in deposit insurance systems, central banks, resolution authorities, supervisory authorities and various international groups in order to enhance IADI data collections, research and analyses;
- Attend and contribute to IADI international meetings or other external organizations to provide IADI statistical and data analysis to address deposit insurance issues;
- Carry out other tasks, for instance, with respect to the IADI research and internal administration and participates in IADI projects as needed.
Qualifications and skills:
- Graduate degree in a relevant field, preferably in economics, finance or statistics, information management, or equivalent work experience in these areas
- At least five years of relevant job experience applying technology to advance research and analysis in areas of relevance to deposit insurance, financial stability or finance and banking (eg at a deposit insurance organisation, central bank, an academic or other international financial institution, or a private sector organisation)
- Experience in the design, implementation and/or maintenance of surveys and database management
- Excellent knowledge of applying information technology tools for analysing issues related to deposit insurance, finance and banking, or data administration
- Good understanding of databases and related statistical IT applications and end user applications
- Sound analytical and quantitative skills, with proven ability to deliver results and to learn new techniques (econometric analysis would be advantageous)
- Strong team spirit
- Excellent communication skills for dealing with internal and external customers
- High degree of innovative thinking, initiative and ability to work without close supervision, while knowing when to involve others
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Good knowledge of another main world language desirable
The BIS employs IADI staff on fixed-term contracts, with the initial-term being four years. The IADI and BIS are fully committed to equal opportunity employment and strive for diversity among its staff.